Sustainability needs a lobby
The Federal Association at a glance
Get to know us and find out more about our mission statement, fields of action and the people behind the German Federal Association for Sustainability .
The vision of the German Sustainability Association is to create an awareness of the unity of our One World. In this world, a global sense of community will promote a co-operative and solidary world community.Not only individuals, but above all those who can make decisions on behalf of all, utilise the achievements of humanity and its possibilities to preserve and promote life. This is done with the aim of reducing inequalities between people and between people and nature.
We strive for international cooperation. It serves to strengthen our common foundations of life – through a viable natural environment with its biological diversity and through strong communities with their cultural diversity. This means working together to preserve them, respectfully valuing both and understanding the role of humans in the interrelationships and interactions of our planet.
We see ourselves as a mouthpiece and initiator that pools the interests of civil society in order to support public and private organisations in transformation processes.
the culture of the next generation
The German Federal Association for Sustainability has set itself the task of creating a lobby and a joint communication platform for sustainability.
We work and act in the context of the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which provide guidance on the areas in which sustainable development is necessary. We orientate our projects around them. We see the conscious shaping of culture as the most important driver for achieving our goals.
We provide role models and examples for the concrete implementation of meaningful processes, develop concepts and support other organisations, companies or individuals. We see ourselves as a platform for knowledge exchange and joint action.
We achieve social impact by pooling common interests, positively influencing the political culture and ensuring the economic performance of sustainable development.
systemic thinking and action
The values of the German Federal Association for Sustainability are based on taking responsibility for ourselves and our planet.
As humans, we are all part of a natural system and a global cultural community based on knowledge. For us, knowledge is the combination of information, experience and the “wisdom of the heart”. These are our core ideas.
We believe in a global community of cultures that must be reflected in shared fundamental values. Mutual respect, justice and truthfulness form the basis of our attitude. Humanity, non-violence and partnership characterise our actions.
We see the promotion of creativity as a prerequisite for innovation and the development of potential that leads to cooperative patterns of action. In this way, the necessary sovereignty for the “transformation of the world” can be achieved.
What we do
The German Federal Association for Sustainability has been campaigning for sustainability issues since 2013.
The Association is the only organisation in Germany that works according to a holistic approach to sustainability and supplements existing sustainability models with the aspect of balance orientation.
We are committed to anchoring sustainable behaviour in social, ecological and economic terms in all areas of society.
In our work, we visualise the connections between human activity and its effects on natural processes in the sense of a balance-oriented human-nature interaction.
as the key
In our political work, we advocate the introduction of a holistic approach as the key to sustainability as a decisive consideration in legislative and planning processes.
We work for the public, politics, business and administration in an advisory and supportive capacity.
The German Federal Association for Sustainability is politically independent and is committed to achieving the sustainability goals at various levels.
It is managed by an honorary executive committee and maintains an office in Berlin. The Federal Association is financed primarily through the enthusiasm and commitment of many volunteers (!) as well as through membership fees and third-party funding (e.g. research funding).
GFAS is also able to operate commercially.
of the democratic system of government
The German Federal Association for Sustainability supports and advises state and social bodies and institutions in the implementation of sustainable or balance-oriented action in legislative, planning and decision-making processes by providing expertise, highlighting optimisation potential and through statements, publications and its own events.
It participates in the professional and public debate on this subject area through publications, statements and its own events, also in co-operation with other appropriate bodies.
The German Federal Association for Sustainability is involved in the establishment of sustainability-related committees in society, politics and administration and supports their work.
The association supports the implementation of international sustainability strategies by sensitising society, politics and administration to global issues and the need for development cooperation, as well as by promoting and initiating private, municipal and regional One World commitment.
Promotion of nurturer,
education and vocational training
The Federal Association for Sustainability provides all social players with the opportunity to inform themselves on the subject of sustainability / balance orientation through lectures and teaching events, discussions, symposia, congresses, publications and similar activities.
science and research
as well as art and culture
The German Federal Association for Sustainability promotes and supports the dialogue between art and science as a means and expression of sustainable knowledge transfer.
Excerpts from the Articles of Association
In line with the German government’s National Sustainability Strategy, the German Federal Association for Sustainability is committed in the long term,
- to anchoring sustainable behaviour in social, ecological and economic terms in all areas of society ,
- to raise awareness of the connections between human activity and its effects on natural processes in the sense of a balance-orientated human-nature interaction,
- to introduce a holistic approach as the key to sustainability as a decisive consideration in legislative and planning processes, and
- that the public, politics, business and administration are advised and supported in this regard.
The association carries out its activities by
- effectively and consistently representing its objectives in relevant legislative projects at federal and, where applicable, state level,
- using all its journalistic resources to promote the ideas of sustainability and a focus on balance,
- disseminating knowledge about solution requirements and approaches through e.g. own publications, lectures, conferences, congresses, training courses and exhibitions,
- being committed to ensuring that parliaments and governments strive for research that takes greater account of sustainability,
- actively supporting education in the responsible use of natural resources and education for sustainable development in schools and extracurricular activities, e.g. by providing teaching materials,
- liaisions with institutions, associations and individuals pursuing similar goals and also working closely with them at international level,
- actively integrating art and artistic expression into the transfer of knowledge about sustainability,
- creating foundations and providing donations that anchor awareness of human behaviour and its impact on natural processes in all areas of society in the sense of a balance-oriented human-nature interaction in social, ecological and economic terms.
- The German Federal Association donates the “Federal Sustainability Award” as an award for particularly sustainable actions and behaviour in society, politics, administration and business.